a pebble in my pond

Comments

kelep said…
The dictionary tells me that a catalyst is something that causes activity between two or more persons or forces without itself being affected. I think it’s that second part that gets me, “without itself being affected.”

Is that really possible? In chemistry, perhaps. But in life? With real people? Can we step into the lives of others, “cause activity,” and quietly walk away, unchanged, unaffected? Do those who stir our respective pots feel no flexing of their muscle, no straining of sinew, sense none of the fragrance arising from the kettle? Do they not feel the smoothness of the ladle in their hand or sense resistance as their stirring drags through our lives?

One might say that I am affected only if I chose to be...if I ‘agree’ to allowing you some impact in my life. But even being faced with the choice is, in itself, an affect, caused by your stirring.

Can we take any action that does not serve as a catalyst for some other, in some way, albeit small, spurring on the activities of others much like a stone dropped in a puddle sends out its ripples? At what point do we become truly intertwined, each of us seeking reinforcement, nurture, affirmation, connection from another? And when we untangle ourselves, is it possible to know the defining moment when the affect ends? Can it ever?
Bree said…
Wow, Kellie you truly have a beautiful rhythmn to words. I am inspired. Thank you.
b

Popular posts from this blog

Sketches